At this year’s Comic-Con International, DC Entertainment’s We Can Be Heroes giving campaign to raise awareness and funds for the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa is bringing multiple unique and interactive elements to comic enthusiasts. To find out more about the dynamic events happening in San Diego, check out the following:
- Darkness & Light Art Exhibit: DC Entertainment’s Darkness & Light: Art Inspired by Heroes & Villains, Hope & Heroism exhibit is a one-of-a-kind art and education tour to raise awareness and funds for the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa. The centerpiece of the collection is original artwork by Jim Lee, the legendary artist and DC Entertainment co-publisher.
When and where? The Darkness & Light exhibit is on display from July 9 – 15 only at Michael J. Wolf Fine Arts Gallery, 363 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101. It is free to the public and a Comic-Con badge is NOT necessary for admission to the gallery.
- Chris Daughtry Debuts New Version of Hit Song “Rescue Me” in support of We Can Be Heroes: Chris Daughtry has teamed up with the Justice League and DC Entertainment to record and release the acoustic rendition of his original single “Rescue Me” to benefit the We Can Be Heroes campaign. On sale today and available exclusively on iTunes, all net proceeds from “Rescue Me” will go directly to providing relief in the Horn of Africa.
When and where? Read our blog post about it here.
- Brick Artist Nathan Sawaya In-Action Live Event: Renowned LEGO brick artist Nathan Sawaya will be on hand to build a vibrant recreation of Jim Lee’s Batman portrait using standard LEGO bricks. Sawaya is donating his time and the final artwork to benefit We Can Be Heroes.
When and where? The live event will be at Michael J. Wolf Fine Arts Gallery, 363 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 on Friday, July 13, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event is free and open to the public – a Comic-Con badge is NOT required for admission.
- Lithograph Giveaways of Jim Lee and Chris Daughtry exclusive We Can Be Heroes artwork: Jim Lee’s exclusive painting for the We Can Be Heroes Darkness & Light art exhibition will be recreated into 250 numbered proof lithographs, 50 of which be given away at select Comic-Con panels. In addition, Jim Lee has also partnered with Chris Daughtry to co-create a separate and unique piece of artwork from which 200 numbered proof lithographs will be created; 50 will be available at Michael J. Wolf Fine Arts Gallery. Stop by the gallery on Friday, July 13 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., for a chance to get a lithograph of their unique collaboration. Jim Lee and Chris Daughtry will also be there to sign your copy.
When and where? For the giveaways of lithographs for Jim Lee’s painting, follow DC Comics social media channels while at Comic-Con for details on where you can win one. Giveaway and signings of the Jim Lee and Chris Daughtry lithograph will be on Friday, July 13, from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Michael J. Wolf Fine Arts Gallery, 363 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101.
- Junk Food Clothing Co. Debuts Digital Museum Shop at DC Entertainment’s Darkness & Light Art Exhibit: Just in time for Comic-Con, Junk Food is launching an innovative digital museum shop at the Darkness & Light: Art Inspired by Heroes & Villains, Hope & Heroism art exhibition. Featuring DC Comics-inspired artwork as interpreted by some of today’s top contemporary artists, patrons of the art exhibit will be able to scan selected art exhibition images with their smartphones to buy a t-shirt featuring beautifully displayed artwork. With the purchase of each shirt, $15 will go directly to saving lives as part of the We Can Be Heroes giving campaign.
When and where? Monday, July 9, through Sunday, July 15, at Michael J. Wolf Fine Arts Gallery, located at 363 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101.
We look forward to seeing you in San Diego and thanks for your support of We Can Be Heroes!